Thursday, March 4, 2010

50 Ways to make a record

50 Ways to make a record…


Day and Night, at at at night. I remember hearing the club banger in Lake Havasu, Arizona, a year ago from this month during the festive time of spring break. I remember being intrigued wanting to know who this new artists was. In one short year, Kid Cudi because one of my favorite artists of all time, as well as one of the most influential people in my life.


Kid Cudi, along with some help from Drake and Wale, helped to put the gangster persona to sleep and brought the hip-hop back to the educational and fun days of hip-hop. Every one of Cudi’s songs has a message that can help you make your life decisions. Cudi’s song 50 ways to make a record, made a lasting impression in my mind. Kid Cudi really does have 50 ways to make a record. Cudi’s song range from songs about not selling your soul in 50 ways to make a record, to songs telling you about Cudi’s own problems in Soundtrack 2 my life, to song reppin’ his own hometown of Cleveland in Cleveland is the Reason.


However, my all-time favorite and most influential Kid Cudi song to date has got to be The Prayer. A truly special song, I have looked to this song for inspiration more times than I can remember. The opening line is enough to give me chills; “My heart thump not from being nervous, sometimes I'm thinking God made me special here on purpose.” He continues to talk about his value in hip-hop, saying that if he dies before he wakes, he will be remember for his song value instead of “apple bottom jeans with the boots with the fur (lyrics from a generic T-Pain song).” This is his way of saying his music isn’t just a fad. He continues to show his appreciation for his fans “Blessing in disguise, but I am not hiding who I am, open your eyes bro If I ever met you, I appreciate the love yo!” “And if I die before I wake, I pray the lord my soul to take, but please don't cry, just know that I have made these songs for you.” This struck a chord for me because I really feel like he made these songs for me. It feels great to have something to motivate you in 5 minutes, whether you are needing to study for a test, or you have a big basketball game approaching, Cudi has something for you.

(click to watch video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grPfVlj7Go4


No comments:

Post a Comment